Saturday, February 10, 2007

THE TIMES HOW THEY’VE CHANGED ME

How many times have people promised me that they will listen and not heard what I was saying.
How many times have I been treated for the way I describe events.
How many times have people mocked me for the way I say certain words.
How many times have I been asked to repeat myself and been misunderstood until I get tired of repeating what I said and then was understood.
How many therapists have told me they suffer from a hearing defect so I need to speak louder in order to be heard.
How many times have I been laughed at for the way I express myself.
How many times have my words been turned around and made to be not what I meant them to be.
How many times have I been asked not to talk, not to speak because what I had to be said didn’t need to be said.
How many times years ago was I told to be silent because “children should be seen and not heard”.
How many times have I been told that my stories were filled with such self-pity that no one wants to hear them.
How many times and how many people did it take to convince me not to talk anymore?
Just one time with one person.

My voice is gone. I am happy that my voice is gone. I fought to have a voice for so long and now that the fight is over, I am happy. I’m feeling a peace and contentment inside that I have never experienced. My speaking voice is silent, but no way am I silent. I speak using paper and pen. I am finally being heard.

No comments: