Sunday, May 13, 2007

Therapy

I am so tired of therapy that I quit, in total disgust. I wanted to talk about my present problems but the therapist wanted me to talk about what happened in my past that was similar to the present. I went back and started to talk about my past only to constantly have what I was saying redirected. I got so sick and tired of taking the blame for psychiatry’s failure to help me that I quit.
I would tell the therapist how angry I was and wanted to discuss what the therapist did that made me angry. I would become angrier when therapist after therapist denied doing anything that would make me angry and tell me I was really angry at something or someone in my past. I would say, no I’m angry at you and what you said. The therapist’s usual reply was, something happened in your past so let’s discuss what happened in your past then you can deal with why you’re angry now. I would insist what the therapist did made me angry and the therapist would pull out the prescription pad and tell me how much I needed an increase in my drugs as I was out of control of my anger.
Therapy didn’t make sense to me until I made sense of therapy. I realized therapists thought I was delusional which was why I was never believed. I found someone who did believe me and that’s how my Journey to Wellness started.

1 comment:

antaraaya said...

Wearing labels (and, I guess, slapping them on others) is in my opinion part of "human behavior" which is not often acknowledged. Human beings like to see themselves as intellectually insightful, but the reality is we are not so "human", and a bit more "monkey" (..see, monkey do) then we appearantly acknowledge.

What I am trying to say is, therapists have their wannabes just like every other "crowd". Having the title does not, as you know too well, mean actually being therapeutic, it just means they can *call* themselves therapists. It's all part of a social hierarchical idiot scheme, much more than purely being about what the words *say* it's about.

I know this comment verges on babbling, the thing is I am occupied with this sort of topic lately, it seems. Something like what you said here I think: "Therapy didn’t make sense to me until I made sense of therapy." Trying to make sense of things is a hobby of mine if I can say it like that, and sometimes making sense of things means having to realize that people in one's surroundings in fact make far from as much sense as they try and portray themselves as making. "Finding out" people in one's surroundings is, I guess, a scary project in some ways; but I would say there is indeed a fair amount of things to find out about them...

Hehe, sorry to continue the babbling. Anyway, I liked very much your blog post. The general topic I percieve you to be talking about in the post is extremely interesting as well as extremely important, I definitely would say.

antaraaya



P.S.

If I may, congratulations on going with your own feelings instead of with others' words! I think maybe few things are often as difficult, and few things are as important as staying focused on own feelings instead of being tricked by others' words.