Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Drug Pushers in White Coats

To me all doctors are nothing more than well trained, board certified drug pushers in white coats who all mean well. That to me classifies all doctors as the worst kind of drug pushers alive.
I go to a doctor to get relief from pain. I am probed, prodded, weighed and assessed and then given the appropriate drug to ease my pain, to make me happy. That’s the whole purpose of me taking a drug, to ease my pain so I would be happy again.
The World Health Organization defines dependency as the need for repeated doses of the drug to feel good or to avoid feeling bad. I was a psych patient forced to take varous psych drugs for over 37 years. I was in denial of my drug addiction until I have lowered my dose of abilify, an anti-psychotic and now am in constant, terrible pain. Warm baths help, so does massage but all are temporary fixes and so temporary now they are no longer acceptable. In order to relieve my pain I would need to be constantly in a warm bath or receiving a massage. I have no choice but to resort to drugs to relieve my pain, to be happy again.
I do have a choice, anti-psychotics which will stigmatize me and get me treated like dirt by most doctors who are afraid of my “madness”, or I can be dependent on drugs that doctors can accept and not have the stigma of dirt and shame and disgust associated with my name when I walk into a doctor’s office.
I had a hard time accepting my drug dependency, that I am a drug addict. I am not a drug addict of my own free will but was made into a drug addict by kind and well meaning doctors who don’t realize what they are truly doing when they prescribed me drugs to ease my pain, to make me happy again. Or do they know and prescribed drugs to me anyway deciding for me it’s better for me to be addicted to a drug than to be so unhappy.

No comments: